Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mastitis

This week I've been struggling through another case of mastitis. This is about my 6th time having it... Monday I went to the doctor for the 3rd time to try and get it figured out. We still have no solutions. I am on a new antibiotic this time, and am taking it for 14 days, instead of ten. My doctor thinks maybe we've never actually gotten rid of it completely and thats why it keeps coming back. I'm also planning on making another appointment with a lactation consultant and speaking with someone in the La Leche League to see if they can offer up any suggestions. I've read article after article on the subject of repeat mastitis and clogged ducts, tried every solution out there, but yet it keeps coming back. I decided with the first case of this that I wasn't going to give up nursing, and I'm still set on that decision. I will nurse through this! I still want to get this figured out though... I don't want to be 6 months down the road still trying to figure out the cause. I don't want to get to a point that I dread the time I spend nursing Gavin because of the pain. If it comes back again after this bout of antibiotics, my doctor is going to refer me to a specialist... hopefully he/she can offer up a solution. On a positive note, Jason put me on "couch rest" after my doctors appointment and made me a wonderful dinner Monday night. He takes such great care of me.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Im so sorry to hear you have mastitis again! Im sure you will overcome it like you have before. The dinner looks yummy! ill be there at 5!

Cathy said...

Kara,
Have you tried taking an herbal supplement called Lethicin? It sometimes help with plugged milk ducts. Talking with a lactation consultant certainly may help. Have you looked on the kellymom website yet? I love her for the advice and ideas. I will do some research also and if I find anything I will send it along. I know it hurts but nursing is the best thing to get the plugged duct open. Best of luck, Cathy

The Anderson Family said...

I have also heard Lethicin works very well! i hope you feel better, i know it hurts like crazy!